Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Don't try this run...

I know this is a bit late but I'm not the best blogger. In early March Leslie and I missed our regular Wednesday afternoon training run so we decided to run on Saturday 13th March. She needed to swim early morning ( 3000 yds or close) so we agreed to meet in Lehi on the Jordan River trail at 9 am. But I needed a longer run and Leslie only wanted 10 miles. So.. I met with the peloton in Highland at 6:30 am and ran 7 miles with them, then went home, showered, ate a bagel and was on the JR trail at 9am. The second photo is from the start of the run in the parking lot...
I didn't feel too good early on in the run. In fact by 3.5 miles my legs were cramping and I was having a tough time. Leslie gave me an endurolyte and after a few minutes that seemed to do the trick. It was cool and a little windy at the turnaround. We headed North, but by 7 miles it was raining quite hard. At the next turnaround it was hammering down to the point that running was uncomfortable. We were drenched when we got back to the cars.



So I think the first photo is from the end of the run. Truth is.. we didn't look as bad as we felt. But I an not going to run 7, wait an hour and run 10 again. The blood pools in your legs and it's tough mentally and physically to do that second run. Plus I much prefer getting out really early for my Saturday run. Still, it is always great to run with somebody who motivates you and makes you stronger. Leslie's quest to finish Ironman St. George has helped immensely with my marathon training this year. I am putting more miles in than I have for several years and I hope that pays off with some better finish times. 3:30 was too elusive last year. I think I have a good shot at breaking it this spring....

No comments: